From the motorway A1, Naples-Milan, take the Arezzo exit and head towards Arezzo. Before reaching the town turn right to Ponte a Chiani and follow signposts to Indicatore. On reaching Route No. 69, after Indicatore, turn left towards Montevarchi and the cemetery can be found on the left after 1 kilometre. Cemetery address: SR 69 Località Indicatore Zona Prima - 52020 Pratantico (AR) Tuscany. GPS Co-ordinates: Latitude: 43.484069, Longitude: 11.790363.
On 3 September 1943 the Allies invaded the Italian mainland, the invasion coinciding with an armistice made with the Italians who then re-entered the war on the Allied side. Progress through southern Italy was rapid despite stiff resistance, but the advance was checked for some months at the German winter defensive position known as the Gustav Line. The line eventually fell in May 1944 and as the Germans withdrew, Rome was taken by the Allies on 3 June. The Germans made a stand in front of Arezzo early in July 1944 and there was fierce fighting before the town was taken on 16 July by the 6th Armoured Division with the aid of the 2nd New Zealand Division. The site for this cemetery was selected in November 1944, and graves were brought into it from the surrounding area. Both the 4th and the 8th Indian Divisions were involved in the fighting in this region, and Plots VII-IX in the cemetery contain Indian graves. Arezzo War Cemetery contains 1,266 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War.