The Cemetery is in the district of Charlottenburg, 8 kilometres west of the city centre, on the south side of the Heerstrasse.
From Theodor Heuss Platz in the district of Charlottenburg, near the exhibition hall complex and next to the Olympic Stadium, follow signs for Spandau, proceeding along the Heerstrasse. The Cemetery lies on the Heerstrasse on the left hand side of the road and 3 kilometres from Theodor Heuss Platz.
Visitors should drive beyond the cemetery to the traffic lights, then turn left directly onto a small one way street running parallel to the Heerstrasse. The Cemetery entrance is on this small one way road.
The site of Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery was selected by the British Occupation Authorities and Commission officials jointly in 1945, soon after hostilities ceased.
Graves were brought to the cemetery from the Berlin area and from eastern Germany*. The great majority of those buried here, approximately 80 per cent of the total, were airmen who were lost in the air raids over Berlin and the towns in eastern Germany. The remainder were men who died as prisoners of war, some of them in the forced march into Germany from camps in Poland, in front of the advancing Russians.
The cemetery contains 3,589 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, 392 of them unidentified. In addition, there are 266 post war graves of men of the British Occupation Forces or their dependants, or of members of the Control Commission.
* Leipzig, Konigsberg, Iena, Dresden, Halle, Rostock, Teltow, Wismar, Mittenwalde, Neuburzdorf, Magdeburg, Grunberg, Doberitz, Buchholz, Halberstadt, Blankenburg, Gotha, Tannenburg, Potsdam, Weder, Tessau, Stralsund, Schweren, Munsdorf, Brandenburg and Schonwalde.