Take the autostrada A1 (Roma to Napoli), and leave it at the Santa Maria Cupua exit. Proceed for about 7 kilometres; after the tunnel turn right in the area called "Zona Ospedaliera". Turn right after 100 metres, then right again after another 100 metres. There is a large communal cemetery on the far side; turn right into the car park where cars should be parked within the communal cemetery grounds for security reasons. The cemetery is signposted. If travelling by train, from the station proceed down Corso Trieste and turn left at the traffic lights. Continue on for approximately 2 kilometres until you reach the roundabout. The CWGC plot will be found at the far end of the cemetery. Cemetery address: Via Generale Luigi Talamonti, 5 - 81100 Caserta (CE) Campania. GPS Co-ordinates: Latitude: 41.08862, Longitude: 14.344041.
On 3 September 1943 the Allies invaded the Italian mainland, the invasion coinciding with an armistice made with the Italians who then re-entered the war on the Allied side. Allied objectives were to draw German troops from the Russian front and more particularly from France, where an offensive was planned for the following year. The Royal Palace at Caserta served as headquarters for the Allied armies in Italy for the greater part of the duration of the Italian campaign and the 2nd General Hospital was at Caserta from December 1943 until September 1945. Some of those buried here died in the hospital, others as prisoners of war (there was a POW Hospital at Caserta) before the Allied invasion. There are also a few burials from the October 1943 fighting on the River Volturno, which lies not far away to the north. Caserta War Cemetery contains 768 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. The cemetery was designed by Louis de Soissons.
Add new comment