Chester (Blacon) was a new cemetery in 1940 when the authorities set aside two plots for service burials. The larger plot in section 'A' was used as a Royal Air Force regional cemetery by a number of R.A.F. stations in Cheshire and the adjoining counties. Only airmen are buried in it. The smaller plot in section 'H' was used for Commonwealth burials and for the burial of servicemen from the numerous Polish hospitals and camps in the area. Almost all of the war graves are in one or other of these plots.
The cemetery contains 461 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, 1 of which is an unidentified airman of the Royal Air Force. Of the 97 war graves of other nationalities, 86 are Polish. There also are 2 Non World War service burials here.