La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery is located 10.5 kilometres south of Ieper town centre on a road leading from the Rijselseweg (N365) which connects Ieper to Wijtschate, and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. On reaching the town of Mesen the first right hand turning leads onto the Nieuwkerkestraat (N314). 2 kilometres along the Nieuwkerkestraat lies the left hand turning onto Plus Douve. The cemetery lies 600 metres along Plus Douve on the right hand side of the track. Visitors should note there is an 80 metre grassed access path which is unsuitable for vehicles.
In the valley of the river Douve, north of Ploegsteert Wood, were two farms. La Petite Douve was the object of a successful raid by the 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion in November 1915 and La Plus Douve, which was generally within the Allied lines, was used at times as a battalion headquarters. It was also known as Ration Farm because battalion transport could approach it at night with rations. La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery was begun in April 1915 by the 48th (South Midland) Division and continued in use until May 1918, when it fell into German hands. The cemetery contains 336 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.
Add new comment