Le Roeulx, Hainaut
The village of Mignault is located north-west of the town of Mons off the A501. From the motorway E19 turn off at junction 3 onto the A501 direction Mignault. Follow this road to the first main junction and turn left towards Mignault. In the village centre by the church turn right into rue des Portes and the cemetery is along on the left. The graves are located through the main entrance, along the centre path and first path to the right.
The British Expeditionary Force was involved in the later stages of the defence of Belgium following the German invasion in May 1940, and suffered many casualties in covering the withdrawal to Dunkirk. Commonwealth forces did not return until September 1944, but in the intervening years, many airmen were shot down or crashed in raids on strategic objectives in Belgium, or while returning from missions over Germany. Mignault Communal Cemetery contains the graves of two Commonwealth airmen of the Second World War. There is also one burial of the First World War.
Add new comment