Sage is a village 24 kilometres south of Oldenburg, a town 43 kilometres west of Bremen and 28 kilometres north of the main road from Bremen to Holland. The cemetery lies 2 kilometres south of the village on the west side of the road to Osnabruck. From the A1 Bremen/Munster motorway visitors should leave at the Wildeshousen Nord junction and take 213 following signs for Ahlhorn and Oldenburg. After 8 kilometres, and immediately after the village of Ahlhorn, turn right at the roundabout and follow signs for Oldenburg along the Oldenburgerstrasse. The cemetery lies on the left hand side of the road 4 kilometres from Ahlhorn.
Sage was on the line of the Allied advance across northern Germany in 1945 but most of those buried at Sage War Cemetery were airmen lost in bombing raids over northern Euope whose graves were brought in from cemeteries in the Frisian Islands and other parts of north-west Germany. Sage War Cemetery contains 948 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, 158 of them unidentified. There are also 23 war graves of other nationalities, most of them Polish.