Terendak Military Cemetery is located within the boundaries of Terendak Military Camp, which is located on the Malacca - Masjid Tanah Road on the west coast, about 13 miles north of Malacca. The cemetery lies in a hollow, just off the main road running through the centre of the camp and just below the hospital.
The camp was built during the years 1957 - 1959 and was sited at Malacca in order to assist the economy of the state. It was a Commonwealth venture designed to house the 28th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade on their move from North Malaysia in 1959 - 1960. Funds were provided by the Governments of Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand on a percentage basis. The first units of 28th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade moved into Terendak Camp in late 1959 and by mid 1960 the camp was fully occupied, although building carried on until 1964 when the hospital was completed. Units of 28 Comwel Bde, as it became known were actively engaged in Borneo during the period of confrontation with Indonesia from 1963 until 1966 and some casualties from this campaign are buried in the cemetery. Additionally some Australian and New Zealand casualties from the Vietnamese war were flown to Terendak and buried there. The remainder of the graves are those of British and Commonwealth troops and their dependants who died of natural causes during the Brigade's occupation of the camp, plus the remains of some service personnel which were exhumed from outlying cemeteries and reburied in Terendak. The camp was vacated by 28 Comwel Bde. During the period November 1969 and February 1970 and was handed over to the Malaysian army on 28 March 1970 and is now occupied by a Malaysian Infantry Brigade. There are now 323 Non World War servicemen and dependant burials in this cemetery.