Uden is a town on the main road between Eindhoven and Nijmegen. The War Cemetery is near the centre of the town in Burgermeester Buskinsstraat, at the junction with Herpenstraat. The cemetery is also signposted on the N265 Uden-Eindhoven.
Uden was occupied by the Germans until its liberation in September 1944. In the earlier years of the war Commonwealth and Allied servicemen were buried in the garden of the parish priest which adjoined the Roman Catholic Cemetery. Later it became necessary to provide another burial ground for them and in 1943 the municipality acquired the Roman Catholic Cemetery, unused since about 1918, for this purpose. After the war more than 100 graves from the garden of the parish priest, and also a number of isolated graves from various parts of the commune, were moved into this cemetery.
Uden War Cemetery now contains 701 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War (two of them unidentified) and two Polish war graves.
Add new comment