The Wellington Provincial Memorial is situated in Wellington (Karori) Cemetery on Karori Road, in the north-western part of Wellington. The memorial was originally built to commemorate 65 soldiers from the Wellington Military District who died during the 1914-1918 War and who were buried at sea. The names of 20 servicemen who lost their lives during the 1939-1945 War and who have no known grave were subsequently added to this memorial. The memorial takes the form of a marble archway connecting the original Services' Cemetery with the extension which was laid out later. The names of the 1914-1918 War dead, with an inscription, are engraved on four panels fixed to the outer faces of the arch. The names of the 1939-1945 War dead are similarly engraved on a panel fixed to an inner face of the arch looking towards the following inscription. 1939 - 1945 ON THE PANEL OPPOSITE ARE THE NAMES OF THOSE MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES WHO ENLISTED IN THIS DISTRICT WHO DIED IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY IN AND AROUND NEW ZEALAND OR EN ROUTE TO OVERSEAS SERVICE AND TO WHOM THE FORTUNES OF WAR DENIED A KNOWN AND HONOURED GRAVE.
There are 65 Commonwealth casualties of the 1914-1918 war and 20 of the 1939-1945 war commemorated here.
Add new comment