Bois Grenier is a small village in the Department of the Nord, about 4 kilometres due South of Armentieres.
Leave Bois Grenier on the D222 in the direction of Fleurbaix. After 1200 metres turn left following the signs for the Cemetery, which can be found on the right hand side after the farm, approximately 800 metres from the main road.
The cemetery was begun in March 1915 and used by units holding this sector until February 1918. At the Armistice it contained 335 burials, but it was then increased when graves were brought in from the battlefields south of Armentieres and from the following cemeteries:-
CROIX-BLANCHE BRITISH CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX (Pas-de-Calais), in a garden by the road leading South-East from Croix-Blanche. It was begun by the 2nd Yorks and the 1st Grenadier Guards, and used from November, 1914 to July, 1916; it contained the graves of 36 soldiers from the United Kingdom
DON GERMAN CEMETERY, ALLENNES-LES-MARAIS (Nord) (one Indian grave).
DOULIEU CHURCHYARD (Nord), containing the graves of four soldiers from the United Kingdom, who fell in October, 1914, and one from Australia, who fell in 1917.
HANTAY COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION (Nord) (one Indian grave).
LESTREM COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION (Pas-de-Calais), which was made by the Germans in the summer of 1918. They buried in it three soldiers and two airmen from the United Kingdom; and when Lestrem was recaptured a British Plot was made in which 17 soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried.
MARQUILLIES COMMUNAL CEMETERY and GERMAN EXTENSION (Nord) (three Indian graves).
MOUVAUX MILITARY CEMETERY (Nord), used from October, 1918, to October, 1919. It was in the grounds of the Monastery at Haut-Mont, close to the aerodrome; and it contained the graves of 51 soldiers and airmen from the United Kingdom, one soldier from Canada, and three men of the Cape Coloured Labour Regiment.
PONT-A-MARCQ COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION (Nord), which contained the graves of four soldiers from the United Kingdom and about 150 German soldiers.
TEMPLEUVE COMMUNAL CEMETERY (Nord), in which one soldier from the United Kingdom and one from Australia were buried by the Germans, with about 200 of their men.
Y Farm Military Cemetery now contains 820 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 284 of the burials are unidentified and special memorials commemorate one casualty believed to be buried in the cemetery and an Indian soldier known to have been buried in Marquillies Communal Cemetery German Extension whose grave could not be found.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.